The United Sovereign Nations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The United Sovereign Nations

You are not connected. Please login or register

Adonia Map Information

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Adonia Map Information Empty Adonia Map Information Wed May 21, 2014 2:17 pm

Vivaporius

I'm truly hope that this is the correct forum for the topic. If not, I'm really sorry.

Anyways, I was exploring the great interwebz when I discovered the USNW wiki. The detail stunned me, but the maps were what really captured my attention. Your attention to detail in regards to the climates, currents, time zones, geography, and even the pixel-to-miles list impressed me, as well as the orthographic maps that you've made. I've been trying to make maps such as these for the longest, and though I've made my fair share of maps (similar to the SVG location maps of Wikipedia), I've never approached anything close to what your community has done.

So my question is this. If possible, could I get your collective knowledge on who you made the maps? The ones I'm most interested in are the:

• Orthgraphic maps (here)
  • Climate maps (here)
  • Geographic maps (here)
  • Language maps (here)
  • Nighttime maps (here)

And any other maps that you may have made. If it sounds like I'm asking for too much, then I probably am. I'm well-versed with the use of GIMP, Inkscape, and Photoshop (still working my way around the latter), so any overhead terms you may need to use are cool with me. Anyway, thanks for any info you might decide to share. I appreciate it!

2Adonia Map Information Empty Re: Adonia Map Information Wed May 21, 2014 2:21 pm

Juls

Juls
Member (Sinope)
Member (Sinope)

Some of these maps are so outdated, same for the wiki, which still contains a lot of stuff to fix. Nevertheless, most maps were done using programs like the ones you mentioned, though Agus used AI (Adobe Illustrator, if I remember correctly) to make the language maps. Other members use it too. You just draw lines using the tools in these softwares and ta-da, magic happens and you have fancy stuff.

3Adonia Map Information Empty Re: Adonia Map Information Wed May 21, 2014 2:23 pm

Agunter999

Member (Bergenstein & Kallvarde)

Inkscape is just a free version if AI so no worries there

4Adonia Map Information Empty Re: Adonia Map Information Wed May 21, 2014 5:30 pm

Vivaporius

Well that much I understand. But I've never been about to make an orthographic map properly, nor did I know that you could make one in GIMP. Not to sound rude at all, but ike I said, I've made a host of large maps involving fancy lines and dark magic, but the geographic map you use, the one that looks as if its actually a planet, that is the kind of work I seek to perform. I suspect a lot of cutting and pasting was done to make it?

Oh, and completely off-topic, but where would I find an up-to-date map of the planet if I wanted to join the project?

5Adonia Map Information Empty Re: Adonia Map Information Wed May 21, 2014 5:45 pm

Agunter999

that is in GIMP somewhere

6Adonia Map Information Empty Re: Adonia Map Information Wed May 21, 2014 5:52 pm

Juls

Juls
Member (Sinope)
Member (Sinope)

Vivaporius wrote:Oh, and completely off-topic, but where would I find an up-to-date map of the planet if I wanted to join the project?

It's being processed and there are changes being done. It will be updated and uploaded soon Razz

For the satellite map, it's not that complicated, though it can be long. The map Chip made was done by taking satellite imagery from Google Maps or Google Earth and paste them accordingly on the world map to what was perceived as the proper satellite imagery of Adonia at the time. (Which was obviously flawed) If you zoom in, you can see that it's roughly cut on the edges and even the satellite image zoom-in size is different at several places, meaning that the zoom he used to take a satellite imagery on let's say Google Maps was on a different scale at certain places on the maps compared to other places, so there's disparities. Ofc the map still looks great.

7Adonia Map Information Empty Re: Adonia Map Information Wed May 21, 2014 9:20 pm

Vivaporius

Awesome. Thanks for all of your help. As for the satellite map, I noticed the rough edges, but the fact that it depicts the planet's geography is what I would consider a plus, and for that I must commend you.

8Adonia Map Information Empty Re: Adonia Map Information Wed May 21, 2014 9:24 pm

ForthWall

ForthWall
Member (Kuyrut)
Member (Kuyrut)

Blakeway4 wrote:
Vivaporius wrote:Oh, and completely off-topic, but where would I find an up-to-date map of the planet if I wanted to join the project?

It's being processed and there are changes being done. It will be updated and uploaded soon Razz

For the satellite map, it's not that complicated, though it can be long. The map Chip made was done by taking satellite imagery from Google Maps or Google Earth and paste them accordingly on the world map to what was perceived as the proper satellite imagery of Adonia at the time. (Which was obviously flawed) If you zoom in, you can see that it's roughly cut on the edges and even the satellite image zoom-in size is different at several places, meaning that the zoom he used to take a satellite imagery on let's say Google Maps was on a different scale at certain places on the maps compared to other places, so there's disparities. Ofc the map still looks great.

The one marsh made* Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum