The United Sovereign Nations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The United Sovereign Nations

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAW Timeline Chat

+3
alerules22
Juls
Chris
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1GAW Timeline Chat Empty GAW Timeline Chat Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:17 pm

Chris

Chris
Member (Mitron)
Member (Mitron)

I have some major issues with the currently canon (or noncanon) time period of 1947-1952, as well as several general issues with the history. In many ways, it seems unrealistic that a war in that time frame is realistic, or good for the union.
1) The technology - In all honesty, a war at this time frame would be so destructive, that we would have no world today. First off, the atomic bomb was created in 1945. Without the bombing of the heavy water plants and cutting off that production, the Germans could have had it earlier, 1944 or even 1943. No doubt the Trents or Okanese (who I’m assuming are just like the Germans and the Japanese of the era) would use it in an instant if they can win the war. Also, jets and rockets would totally tip the war to one side, or cause MASSIVE destruction. The Germans had jets at the start of the war, but they were very raw prototypes. By late 1943 they had functional jets. The only problem was that by the stage of 1944 and 1945, the facotries were being bombed so heavily, and they had so little time that they could not amass the numbers for their jets to make any real impact. Their V-1 and V-2 rockets, however, were very effective all throughout the war. If used against troops, they could be even more effective, but the Germans used it against the civilians in England, and eventually lost most of their launch facilities by the end of 1944. These technological issues are just a few that come to mind when we have a time frame of 1947-1952.
2) Tactics - This wouldn’t be as huge of an issue, but we all know what happened in the wars of the early 1900s and latter half of the 1800s. The American Civil War and World War I come to mind, among a few. The commanders in charge of these wars lacked the knowledge of the deadliness of the modern weapons. They still relied heavily on charges and cavalry, which were largely ineffectual with the modern, more accurate and longer distance artillery, as well as the machine guns. In the Battle of the Somme, the British lost 60,000 men in ONE DAY. Granted, this is the extreme of the argument, it represents the charges, small and large, that were deadly. In the days before machine guns, you could charge and only faced direct cannon fire (1700s) and musket fire. But with the advent of the machine gun, the men were quite literally mowed down before they could take 10 steps. This led to the trenches, which used machine guns quite effectively, and World War I which turned into a war of inches, where taking 100 feet in a day was a great success. The Minie bullet in the U.S. Civil War was deadly accurate, mass produced, and very effective once it hit it’s target. These technological advancements made war deadly.
Without the prior wars (WWI or the U.S. Civil War), a lot of these issues may not have been known. Thus, we’d be having a WWI (trenches, charges, heavily-used cavalry) with even more modern and effective weapons. This represents a huge problem, as we’d be causing such massive casualties that there’d be nothing left.

These are just two of my issues with a war in this time frame, as well as a lack of prior wars. I hope this helps persuade you to add a war in the early 1900s, and definitely move the time frame back at least a few years (Perhaps 1942 to 1947?)

Thank you for your time,
Chris

2GAW Timeline Chat Empty Re: GAW Timeline Chat Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:25 pm

Juls

Juls
Member (Sinope)
Member (Sinope)

GAW Timeline Chat 5JKTi
GAW Timeline Chat 5JKWf

3GAW Timeline Chat Empty Re: GAW Timeline Chat Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:27 pm

alerules22

alerules22
Member (Oxacmela & Balisca)
Member (Oxacmela & Balisca)

I love you juls, I LOVE YOU

http://www.usnw.net

4GAW Timeline Chat Empty Re: GAW Timeline Chat Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:29 pm

Carl

Carl

Thank you Razz

http://oktimes.canadian-forum.com

5GAW Timeline Chat Empty Re: GAW Timeline Chat Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:52 pm

Chris

Chris
Member (Mitron)
Member (Mitron)

I'm not saying we need to be exactly like Earth but we need to be realistic.

6GAW Timeline Chat Empty Re: GAW Timeline Chat Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:58 pm

Willem

Willem
Member (Bruellen)
Member (Bruellen)

You just contradicted yourself, first you said we'd have jets and rockets and annihilate each other, then you said we'd be having trench warfare...

Also, there's been plenty of wars in Althena before the GAW, ultimately the cause of this one.

7GAW Timeline Chat Empty Re: GAW Timeline Chat Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:02 pm

Chris

Chris
Member (Mitron)
Member (Mitron)

I'm not contradicting myself, simply stating scenarios.

8GAW Timeline Chat Empty Re: GAW Timeline Chat Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Willem

Willem
Member (Bruellen)
Member (Bruellen)

Both are highly illogical.

9GAW Timeline Chat Empty Re: GAW Timeline Chat Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:38 am

Agunter999

Member (Bergenstein & Kallvarde)
Member (Bergenstein & Kallvarde)

And that was unfair Juls, Chris has too many good points.

I think we can agree that the war will not be a trench war senario. It is too late. Chris is correct on everything else.

What we also have to think about is that in 1938 Germany could have been defeated easily by Poland alone. In 1939 they were the most powerful European power (only loosing it in 1942). The reason the development stopped was due to war. As the GAW happened much later it give Brullen the chance to become a major superpower. Especially as at some point Brullen gains Bergenstein and Batavia. Also the fact that there was no WWI it means that also Germany and every other country would have no experience (well Bergenstein had just had a war just like Abbasid so we are exceptions) meaning tactics would have been a total mess. Again though nor would they have the devastation (except BGS and ABB).

10GAW Timeline Chat Empty Re: GAW Timeline Chat Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:34 pm

Juls

Juls
Member (Sinope)
Member (Sinope)

It's funny that you still don't get the sarcasm Razz

11GAW Timeline Chat Empty Re: GAW Timeline Chat Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:41 pm

Willem

Willem
Member (Bruellen)
Member (Bruellen)

Agunter, there is no parallels with real life events in this situation. I've never heard that Poland one before. Bruellen, not Germany, was a strong empire and had been for quite awhile, it hadn't been crippled in previous wars and was jostling with other imperial powers for supremacy, ultimately leading to the war. The technology on Adonia wouldn't be as advanced as the 1950s on Earth, simply due to the fact we hadn't had the war yet.

12GAW Timeline Chat Empty Re: GAW Timeline Chat Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:27 pm

Jack

Jack
Member (Acadia & Valessia)
Member (Acadia & Valessia)

I'm not expert, but I can make an educated guess that WW2 caused a push in technology. So, if we look at it that way, technology isn't an issue, and we would be equal with Earth. (Like Will said Wink)

I appreciate your effort in this. Smile Putting forth ideas for the GAW is always accepted by me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum