The United Sovereign Nations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The United Sovereign Nations

You are not connected. Please login or register

Your Opinion Counts (#2!) | Website Upgrades

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Please rate the new look of the USNW forums.

Your Opinion Counts (#2!) | Website Upgrades Pollle1050%Your Opinion Counts (#2!) | Website Upgrades Pollri10 50% [ 4 ]
Your Opinion Counts (#2!) | Website Upgrades Pollle1025%Your Opinion Counts (#2!) | Website Upgrades Pollri10 25% [ 2 ]
Your Opinion Counts (#2!) | Website Upgrades Pollle100%Your Opinion Counts (#2!) | Website Upgrades Pollri10 0% [ 0 ]
Your Opinion Counts (#2!) | Website Upgrades Pollle1025%Your Opinion Counts (#2!) | Website Upgrades Pollri10 25% [ 2 ]
Your Opinion Counts (#2!) | Website Upgrades Pollle100%Your Opinion Counts (#2!) | Website Upgrades Pollri10 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Chip

Chip
Webmaster

We're back once again with another episode of "Your Opinion Counts"!

For the rest of the day, and possibly tomorrow we will be doing upgrades on the site and updating things. Please tell us below if you're having any problems, or if there are things you don't like. We love to have your feedback on these type of things, so please tell us what you think!

-Chip-
First Minister

P.S. Don't say you voted, this isn't a real vote, just a little poll to help us out. Razz

http://www.usnw.net

Just keep it normal. Please.

You are like Mark Zuckerburg, you change Facebook's layout right when everyone gets used to it...

Jon

Jon
First Minister (Kaskaskia & Insulo)

If only I were Mark Zuckerburg Razz

We made these changes because they are the completion of our previous attempts to have a more modern feel to the forums. This includes the upgrade from the antiquated PHPBB2 software to PHPBB3, which means all browsers will see the ticker fine and it is better designed in my opinion. Although we will tweek small things over time, this will most likely be the last major revamp of the design.

No offence. But it sucks Razz

Jon

Jon

Tell me your gripes and I'll see what I can do, but if you just say it sucks all that tells me is you think it sucks.

Chip

Chip
Webmaster

If you can't give a good reason, it's staying like it is, because we think it looks good.

Daniel

Daniel

This one is all confusing, and I always find myself on the verge of pressing the wrong button Razz

There's your reason why I don't like it

The old one just looked better. The Navbar looks worse (I liked the round one) and I liked the blue more than this grey for the forums themself.... it looks too dull for me. And the announcements ticker looks terrible, and the forum homepage looks really dumb too (the Arial and the blue highlights looked much better)

And I agree with Daniel about the other.

EDIT: To make it all the better, just put it back to where it originally was. Nobody will complain if you do that Razz

Daniel

Daniel

I also liked the blue... Crying In general, I agree with K50 on this subject

First of all I hate the names/avatars on the right side.

I overall liked the old one better. Everything seemed to fit more and it was more neutral in color rather than all this white blinding me. There's a reason my wallpaper is near-black. Razz

Jon

Jon

By the way guys, we aren't done. We are still working with this new design. The choice of colors however is a personal preference, personally I find this new scheme much more ascetically pleasing.

The nav bar discussion is essentialy a moot point, as the only difference is a rounded end. This one matches much better and this new design finally lets us be rid of the useless superfluous space at the top of the site.

The announcements ticker can be edited separately and most likely will.

I don't get what you don't like about the homepage. In my opinion it looks much better than before, the old fashion table lines were frankly ugly. This new design has a very modern shadow effect that isn't as bulky.

Daniel

Daniel

Now it's starting to look a lot better Very Happy

Kisa Atsuko

Kisa Atsuko
Member (Sundanesia)
Member (Sundanesia)

Its more familiar for me...

The blue on the portals is far too dark - use different colours for the different images. It doesn't work with the light background tone.
The font and text size on the posts, ticker and forums/categories is far too small and I preferred the old one.
It looks really clunky to me atm.

Chip

Chip
Webmaster

Again, we'll be working on it through out the day, working with the fonts colors. We've already moved the profile thing from the right to the left and we're working on the rest.

Jon

Jon

Also a small note, You can have signatures now.

I hope you guys have looked at the poll..... in particular the "can we change back?" part...

Chip

Chip
Webmaster

Considering we're the admins, and the admins job is to keep the site up to date, that's what we're doing. Also, it's not finished, there's better stuff to come.

Jon

Jon

Sorry the site was down for a while, but at times it was in a state that was by no means presentable.

I have isolated the CSS classes that apply to several things we wanted to fix and instituted those fixes. This mainly involves the spacing of forum titles from the icons and of course putting the profiles back in the left side. As I am messing with this it is possible that fixing one thing causes another bug, as happened when i originally changed the spacing of the icons and titles. If you notice any bugs please report them. A few things are inexplicably strangely colored which can be easily fixed, and there appears to be a strange glitch in the iOS version of Safari involving the placement of the profiles next to posts.

We are attempting, as you have seen, to address your concerns with this new design. If you have any specific problems please tell us, vague comments like "this sucks" do not cause me to spontaneously realize what you think is wrong. On this same idea saying that you aren't used to it or it looks to sterile or whatever just tells me that you haven't adjusted to it yet because it's something different or you're resisting adjusting just to gripe. The background color issue has been addressed, and colors with more "character" have replaced the clinical grays.

I will continue to document changes as I make them in this thread. This changeover is not complete, I repeat NOT complete. We have this process open like this to allow for a input during the tinkering stage so we can produce a finished product that is suitable to everyone's individual desires (or as many of those as we can meet, we can't make everyone happy) and fits our outward image as a new and modern union with innovative ideas.

Also, we will not be changing back the design, regardless of what the poll says, until after we are done finished with these edits. If at the end of this you are all still displeased, it can be changed.

-Jon

Jon

Jon

Some browser testing has revealed something interesting and frustrating.

Your Opinion Counts (#2!) | Website Upgrades Mosaic0004

Your Opinion Counts (#2!) | Website Upgrades Mosaic0003

Your Opinion Counts (#2!) | Website Upgrades Mosaic0002

Your Opinion Counts (#2!) | Website Upgrades Mosaic0001

Your Opinion Counts (#2!) | Website Upgrades Mosaic0000

Notice how some of the browsers interpret the font used by our forums differently than others. This is kind of annoying because I was very happy with the way the font looked in Opera, but the way it appears in Firefox and other browsers is rather ugly.

So, we will now be taking font suggestions, so if you have any preference please share.

Arial. Just like it used to be....

Jon

Jon

The font is set as Arial. For some reason all browsers except IE and Opera are outputting it as Times New Roman.

We are working on a fix at the moment.

Jon

Jon

Turns out it wasn't TImes New Roman, but Trebuchet MS.

There must be a glitch in the CSS or a browser quirk that is causing all the browsers except IE and Opera to ignore the body font and use the title font for everything. I have remedied this by simply changing the title font to Arial.

Chip

Chip
Webmaster

We've worked with the icons, tell us what you think. Do you like the round or the square ones better, either fit, but we think the round look more modern with this template.

Kisa Atsuko

Kisa Atsuko
Member (Sundanesia)
Member (Sundanesia)

I like the rounded rectangle. it looks modern than both square or circle..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum